Coudersport Golf Club
On Tuesday, September 10th, 1935, a meeting was held in the Coudersport High School for the sole purpose of organizing the Coudersport Golf Club on farmland previously owned by the Gray Chemical Company. The club was incorporated as a non-profit organization and by-laws were adopted.
Early plans included doing some work on the course in the fall of 1935 and to have the course ready for play by the spring of 1936. The total land originally purchased totaled 143 acres.
Among the work being done was clearing land, picking stones, and building greens and fairways. L.G. Soper was in charge of construction with much of the heavy work being done by Wallace Haupt and Sons.
The course officially opened for play in June 1936. Membership totaled approximately eighty members.
On May 3, 1948, fire destroyed the clubhouse, leaving only the barn's beautiful stone fireplace standing. A new clubhouse built around the stone fireplace was completed in the fall of 1948.
That clubhouse was remodeled during the summer of 1973. Then on Christmas Eve, 1980, occured the disastrous fire that completely destroyed all clubhouse areas, including the stone fireplace. The only part which remained from this fire was the area of club storage which is still being used today.
By July 1981, construction was begun on a new structure at the cost of approximately $340,000. The new clubhouse opened to the public on November 27, 1981, and was officially dedicatedin February 1982.
In 1992, the playing course was expanded from a 9-hole to an 18-hole layout. This re-design was driven by the hard work and commitment of the membership. Holes 1, 2, 8, 9, 13, 17 & 18 were all original to the course. Old holes 5 & 6 were re-modeled to become current holes 10, 11 & 12.
This new clubhouse structure and the beautiful playing course which surrounds it serve as a memorial to all those members who have supported the club during the past 75 years.